Posted: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 13:52
Today marks the start of Disability Bowls August, a month-long promotion of disability bowls in England.
Throughout August, the Bowls Development Alliance will be launching one press release per day relating to a range of initiative launches and topics including:
• 2014/2015 Love Fisher Brown Award winners
• 2015 National Disability Survey launch
• Inaugural National Disability Strategic Action Plan launch
• Profiles of all Love Fisher Brown Award entrants and key disability organisations
• Funding and support information for clubs and individuals
• Case Studies of elite and grass roots players
• Release of the new advisory guide – "A guide to disabled people's participation"
Susan Cooper, the Development Director for the BDA commented, "as well as developing more opportunities for disabled people to play bowls, the BDA felt that to have the whole month of August as a real focus would really raise the profile and have a positive impact on encouraging more disabled people to take up this great sport"
Disability Bowls August will also involve a showcase event on the 7th August at the Bowls England National Championships in Royal Leamington Spa where a Working with Disabled Bowlers module will be held followed by an exhibition match at 14:00 between a number of elite disabled bowlers, led by Disability Bowls England Chairman and Commonwealth Games Bronze Medallist, Paul Brown.
A number of organisations are supporting Disability Bowls August including Bowls England, the English Indoor Bowling Association, Disability Bowls England and the English Federation of Disability Sport.