Posted: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:35
On 14th June, the Go Ride Cycling Super Series Level 3 hosted two finals at Brooksby Melton College: years 5, and 6 and years 7 and 8.
It was a fine but testing day for the finalist teams as strong winds blazed across the open countryside fields.
Each of the heats involved 5 individuals working as a team to finish in the fastest possible time, the final time recorded once the last player crossed the finish line. Finals consisted of two stages:
- Velodrome race
- Cyclo-cross race
The Velodrome race was highly competitive in the years 5/6 age group. All teams stormed through the heats in a battle between the districts. There was only a minute between 10th place and pole position. The cyclo-cross proved to be the biggest test, as the track proved to be very technical with various corners to weave in and out mixed with getting of and on the bicycle.
It was Blaby & Harborough's Greenfield who finished quickest overall with a total time of just under 10 minutes, 38 seconds quicker than second place Melton & Belvoir's Starthern.
The Spirit of the Games Winners, Melton & Belvoir, showed they knew all values leading to become the Spirit of the Games winners. The entire team showed great attitude towards making a great team and even went beyond the depths of good sportsmanship by cheering the opposition on to finish the difficult cyclo-cross race!
In the year 7/8 age group, three teams competed in the same format. LCFC Rockets rider made an appearance for North Charnwood as a guest, representing nationals at such a young age. It was a race between Hinckley & Bosworth and East Leicester as only one second could be split between the two teams, whereas a very determined West Leicester just fell short but showed great effort in their support and team work.
The results of the final positions follow as:
Results: Year 5/6 Go Ride Cycling
- · 10th West Leicester ~ Braunstone Community Primary School
- 9th South Charnwood ~ Bishop Ellis Catholic Primary School
- 8th East Leicester ~ Krishna Avanti Primary School
- 7th Rutland ~ English Martyrs Catholic Voluntary Academy
- 6th Oadby & Wigston ~ GlenmereCommunity Primary School
- 5th North West Leicestershire ~ Ashby Willesley Primary School
- 4th Hinckley & Bosworth ~ Millfield
- 3rd North Charnwood ~ Orchard C Of E Primary School
- 2nd Melton & Belvoir ~ Stathern Primary School
- 1st Blaby & Harborough ~ Greenfield Primary School
Spirit of the Games Award Winner ~ Melton & Belvoir (Starthern Primary School)
Results: Year 7/8 Go Ride Cycling
- · 3rd West Leicester ~ Sir Jonathon North Community College
- · 2nd East Leicester ~ Crown Hills Community College
- 1st Hinckley & Bosworth ~ Redmoor Academy
Spirit of the Games Award Winner ~ North Charnwood (Rawlins Academy)
Special thanks go to the organisers for leading, School Games Young Leader Volunteers and to Brooksby Melton College for providing excellent facilities during the event of the finals.
The School Games Summer Championships is just around the corner at this year's venue, Uppingham Community College. Don't miss out on the action, 29th June.
The photographs from the School Games Super-Series Finals are available to view on our Facebook page. Make sure to keep up with all the action over the coming months through our Twitter - @LR_Sport, Instagram - @lr_sport_ and Snapchat - lr_sport using #LRSchoolGames.