Posted: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 14:07
Now in its 16th year, Unsung Hero is spreading its net wider in 2018 to include not only sporting volunteers but those in other fitness activities.
We want to continue celebrating these long-established sports, but this year we are also looking further afield, and beyond the field!
So here's to the volunteer fitness instructors who offer classes in your community; the person who spends their free time running the social media accounts for your dance club; and that one steward who turns up every week to cheer on the runners in your weekly 5km run.
Nominate your inspiring volunteer before the deadline, Sunday 21 October at midnight.
This year the age-range limits have changed so you can now nominate volunteers aged from 16 upwards.
It is clear that Leicestershire has an abundance of Unsung Heroes…..
- 2017: Denise Larrad named 2017 BBC Get Inspired Unsung Hero at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year
- 2016: John Tilley, Hinckley Rugby Club – East Midlands Finalist
- 2015: 3 Leicestershire volunteers were the 3 East Midlands finalists
- 2015: Pete Harris won regional East Midlands BBC Unsung Hero 2015
- 2014: Jill Stidever wins the BBC Get Inspired Unsung Hero Award
- 2013: Colin Magee won regional East Midlands BBC Unsung Hero 2013
- 2012: Sue & Jim Houghton win the BBC Unsung Hero Award
Source: (BBC, 2018)