Posted: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:36
- Free programme will help to train local people from ethnically diverse backgrounds
- Delivered by Sporting Equals and Leicester University
- Aim is to support people from ethnically diverse backgrounds into leadership positions within local sport and physical activity
- Six-month course available for up to 25 people - with registrations open now for January start
We want to increase diversity and representation in local leadership and governance of sport and physical activity in the Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland area.
A new programme will develop the sports leadership skills of people from black or ethnically diverse backgrounds.
Up to 25 places are available for the pilot of a new programme that will teach skills needed to serve on local governing boards, steering groups and committees which oversee voluntary and public sector-based organisations of our local sport and physical activity sector.
Active Together, Sporting Equals and Leicester University are leading the FREE project, which aims to open up pathways to positions on boards of directors and governance of local sports clubs, as well as voluntary director roles on boards of sport governing bodies.
The leadership programme runs from January to June 2023 and is recruiting now.
You can register your interest here. Closing date for applications is Friday 13th January 2023.
The hybrid course will be delivered by experts from Sporting Equals and University of Leicester, covering topics including Leadership Skills, Good Governance, Dealing with Resistance, and Influencing.
It will be ideally suited to people who are already involved in local sport or physical activity and who are interested in moving forward into leadership roles.
The programme will start on the 24th January will involve attending a half-day classroom session each month, between January 2023 and June 20223 at a venue in Leicester.
Organisers anticipate that most (but not all) candidates will be aged at least 21 and have some life experience. No formal qualifications required but an interest in sport and physical activity and an aptitude to serve in a leadership role is necessary.
Programme organisers will contact people who complete the online Expression of Interest form.
- For an informal conversation about the project, please email Dave Stock, Strategic Relationships Manager at email@example.com