Level 5 Certificate in Primary School Physical Education Specialism Course
*Now Open for Applications*
September 2022, March & June 2023
This nationally recognised qualification, accredited by AfPE and Sports Leaders UK, aims to upskill primary school teachers, future teachers and school support staff to improve the overall delivery of the Physical Education curriculum.
On successful completion of this qualification, delegates will be able to assist in raising the standards within primary school physical education teaching.
With the previous, current and ongoing restrictions due to Covid-19, this is a perfect opportunity to use your Primary PE & Sport Premium funding to focus on staff CPD.
This is a bespoke physical education and school sport qualification for primary school teachers, future teacher and school support staff, developed by the Association for Physical Education (AfPE) and Sports Leaders UK.
The aim of the qualification is to up-skill primary colleagues to be able to assist the delivery of high quality primary school PE. The course will address the top 3 concerns of subject knowledge, health and safety and subject leadership.
At Active Together (formerly known as Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport) we are committed to supporting our primary schools with the continued professional development of their staff, to ensure the delivery of high quality PE, school sport and physical activity for all pupils in all schools.
To date, we have successfully trained over 100 primary teachers and support staff and we are committed to ensuring we have a PE specialist in every school across Leicestershire, Leicester, and Rutland.
Unless there are any new Government restrictions or guidelines, this year's course will be run face-to-face. This course requires five days of tutor delivery, followed by individual work back at School and in delegates own time. The first four days are taught in an intensive format, over two consecutive weeks, with the final day later in the academic year.
It is really important delegates attend all the days so they can complete the required elements of the course.
What’s involved? How will this year’s course run differently?
- Average learning time: 141 hours which includes 45 tutored guided learning hours and 96 independent learning hours.
- This includes the completion of individual learning tasks and to do this it is important that there is support from the school's Senior Management Team to enable the delegate to complete all aspects of the course.
- Additional individual 1-1 feedback / support sessions as required.
- Course assessment will be carried out through formal written assignments, group-based tasks and group discussion.
- During the course, a senior leader at your school will be required to undertake a formal observation of your PE teaching.
- Delegates will be asked to carry out significant work in their own time, however additional release time within school may be needed for some of the tasks.
- Thursday 22nd September 2022
- Friday 23rd September 20222
- Tuesday 27th September 2022
- Wednesday 28th September 2022
- Wednesday 29th March 2023
- June 2023 x 1—TBC
Cost of Course:
- £500 (QTS)
- £800 (Non-QTS)
- £1,000 (outside of our region)
Please note there will be a maximum of 20 places available for this course; places will be awarded to applicants on a first-come first-served basis.
We are encouraging applications from across the County, City and Rutland.
For more information contact:
Sports Development Manager
I am currently remote working, so please contact me via email/mobile phone (where provided).
My areas of responsibility are:
- Supporting Children & Young People
- Primary Sport Premium Advisor
- School Sport & Physical Activity Network (SSPAN) Development
- Strategic Management & Business Planning