What's around my way?
Want to know where you your local parks and outside spaces are? Or are you looking for some inspiration for when you are out and about?
Whatever you are looking for you have come to the right place!
Looking for a park near you? Use our Parks and Open spaces Search Engine
Do you want to find somewhere new to stretch your legs or take the wheels for a spin? Need somewhere new for the kids to explore or are you looking for that perfect picnic spot with friends over the summer? Our parks and open spaces search engine can help you with that. Just enter your postcode into the search engine and you will be directed to all those leafy green spaces right on your doorstep.
Fancy some me time? Mindfulness walking can help!
Did you know that mindfulness walking can help relieve stress, treat heart disease, lower blood pressure, reduce chronic pain and even improve sleep! When you are out walking in a park or open space try mindfulness walking!
- Begin walking, a little slower than normal
- Maintain awareness of the things around you
- Pay attention to your senses as you walk
- Be aware of each breath
- Breathe easily, but deeply
- When your mind drifts from walking and breathing, gently guide your thoughts back
Its nature trail time!
Whilst you're out and about see if you can create a nature trail! Can you find these things?
- Tree – Keep an eye out for a special tree, maybe a tall one or one with some unique leaves.
- Animals – If you look carefully there will almost always be a squirrel around somewhere, try looking in the trees or in the grass!
- Pond/river – Can you find some water on your trail? Maybe it is a small pond or a flowing river? Visit as many spaces as you can to find one.
- Berries or fruit – Can you find some food growing in nature? Sometimes berries and fruit can grow from trees and bushes, look carefully to see if you spot one!
- Litter- Can you do your bit for the community and find some litter to pick up? Give your self a pat on the back when you have disposed of it!
- Bird nest – Can you spot a bird's nest? Birds' nests are located in trees, sometimes very high up! Keep your eyes open!
- Pine cone- Can you visit a space where there are pine cones? You will find these under a specific tree? Do you know what those trees are called? See if you can find out when your home!
Here's some more great ideas you definitely should check out:
Flip a coin guided walk/cycle
Let fate decide your walking or cycling route today. Before leaving home assign left and right to heads and tails of your coin, Once at your starting point flip your coin to decide which way to go. At each junction you get to flip the coin again and let it decide if you go left or right.
Give Geocaching a go
Have you ever tried Geocaching? There are millions of geocaches hidden around the world and there are probably some near you right now. Join in the worlds largest treasure hunt and download the app today.
Explore somewhere new by cycling or walking between two places starting with the same letter. You can use the Choose How You Move website to find local walking and cycling routes.