Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Girls Can
This Girl Can is the award-winning campaign funded by the National Lottery that seeks to tell the real stories of women who get active or play sport, using images that show what activity really looks like in all its sweaty, jiggly glory.
Women come in all shapes and sizes with all abilities and from all backgrounds. Some of us are expert sportswomen, some of us are a bit rubbish. It doesn't matter.
We're just happy that you're getting active. And if you're still not sure that you can, we're here to help you to figure out a way to get active that's right for you.
Active Together believe Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Girls Can. Join the community of active women today #LLRGirlsCan
Feeling overwhelmed at the thought of getting active and don't know where to start? Let's take it one step at a time. To get you started, we've pulled together some top tips.
Easing yourself in
- Easy does it. Begin by making small changes, don't try and do everything at once!
- Try a beginner's programme to start with, one that provides some structure and eases you in slowly.
- Don't worry about not feeling fit enough to do exercise. It's really common to feel this way.
- Remember, you're not alone. There are plenty of others, just like you, looking to get active
- If you're juggling childcare, look for classes or facilities that offer a creche or flexible memberships.
- Make the most of your 'me' time. Some might find yoga relaxing, but others might find a rigorous HIIT session is exactly what they need to destress!
- Getting active at home or joining an online class might be just the answer – less stress, no travel and tea breaks!
- Don't worry about getting it right – just enjoy yourself. Take your time and move at your own pace.
- Find places to exercise that put you at ease.
- It's ok to have a few 'wobbles' – we all have them.
- If buying a new kit gives you a boost, go for it!
- Enjoy how exercise makes you feel rather than what you look like.
- Don't compare yourself to others – you're doing great, just as you are.
- Be your own coach – set goals that work for you
- Why not a ask a friend to go with you? Or better still, start a team!
- Reward yourself every now and then. You deserve it!
Your local female only activities
Not seeing an activity for you? Contact us with your preferred activity (contact at the bottom of this page). We can help find the best option for you or explore opportunities for a new LLR Girls Can session.
Every woman's experience of menopause is different, but physical activity can help women manage and cope better with their symptoms. Click here for menopause FAQs, physical activity for the menopause, alternative treatments, simple tips and useful resources.
Find an activity you enjoy
Join the LLR Girls Can community
Sign up to our Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland This Girl Can Newsletter and Facebook page to receive the latest news.
Meet our local champions
We've heard from lots of women, just like you, who have overcome barriers and found a way to be active that works for them.
Share your story to help others to become more active!
Leicester Diamonds support This Girl Can!
Couch to 5k success in Leicester
A group of ladies are currently on week 6 of their LLR Girls Can Couch to 5k journeys in Spinney Hill, Leicester. The group meet each week and run in and around Victoria Park.
"Having stopped my activities and work during 2 years lockdowns & ill health meant I literally fitted into the definition of "couch". Ayesha has managed the group with different fitness levels so well - I really felt included and able to join at my own pace. Long may she continue helping women of all abilities!" - Farhana
"Through these sessions I have made wonderful friends and overcome a lot of barriers. Thanks to Ayesha, without her support I wouldn't have been able to blossom the way I am now." - Aesha
Keep your eyes peeled on our website and in our newsletter for any future LLR Girls Can Couch to 5k sessions.
If you are interested in taking part in a Couch to 5k session with Ayesha please get in touch: email@example.com
This Girl Can With You
2.4 million fewer women than men reported enjoying sports and physical activity. This needs to change.
We call this the enjoyment gap. And it's up to all of us to close it.
The enjoyment gap is not inevitable and is completely fixable by challenging the practical and structural obstacles that make activity feel less welcoming for women. Focusing on making activity more safe, social, self-affirming and suitable for women. With you, we will reshape women's experiences to welcome all women with open arms. With you, we will challenge one another to act on women's needs. With you, we will change so that no woman is left behind. With you, we can make a real difference to how women experience activity.
With you, This Girl Can.
For more information please contact:
Assistant Development Officer
I am working flexibly in the office or at home, therefore please contact me via email or phone number provided.
My areas of responsibility are:
When I'm not working - I'm at Loughborough University athletics track, training for the 400m. I've been an athlete for 13 years, and love exploring different parts of the world whilst competing.
Favourite Sporting Moment – Derek Redmond at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. After tearing his hamstring in the 400m semi-final, Derek's father ran from the stands to help him and they both finished the race together. It always makes me cry!
- 01509 467486