Toddlers should spend at least 180 minutes (3 hours) per day, in a variety of physical activities, at any intensity. Toddlers should also take part in active and outdoor play, which is spread throughout the day. More activity is better!
For ideas and activities to help your toddler be active, please view the resources below.
Healthy Tots Let's Get Moving Resources
- Encourage the family to eat meals together at the table to enjoy a variety of foods
- At 12 months, mashed, chopped family foods and a variety of finger foods can be tried.
- Encourage a healthy breakfast to provide the best start to the day.
- Limit foods high in fat and sugar as these provide energy but they have few nutrients.
- The best drinks for children are water and milk.
- Children do not need salt adding to foods.
- All children over the age of one should have 10 micrograms of vitamin D, especially during autumn and winter.
For more healthy eating tips, please click the image on the right.
Brush your child's teeth thoroughly for 2 minutes, twice a day. This should be the done at night before bed and on one other occasion. Please view the resources below for more support on teeth hygiene.
Hey Duggee Tooth Brushing Song
Toothbrushes at the ready Squirrels! It's time to brush your teeth for two whole minutes!
Health tips and advice for under 5s - Toddlers
Support from trusted NHS professionals
The go to place in Leicestershire for pre and post natal physical activity information.
Make Your Move - Under 5s (PDF, 1.5 Mb)
Our Make your Move flyer provides handy activity ideas, top tips and guidance on how active your little one should be.
Information for Childcare Professionals including a range of useful resources, local events/courses, our Conference and Healthy Tots accreditation.