Golden Games is an activity programme combining traditional games with physical activity. Every move enables better strength, stamina, skill and suppleness through simple and fun group or individual activities
Golden Games mission
- The first is to increase physical activity which will:
- Help people feel and function better and regain confidence;
- Prevent or delay the onset of dementia, disability and frailty.
2. The second is to increase healthy life expectancy and increase independence.
3. The third is to reduce the need for health and social care.
Benefits of Golden Games
Who is Golden Games for?
Typically, Golden Games is for older adults, defined as those aged 65+.
It can be accessed by any setting in which older adults come together. This may include care settings, residential homes, sheltered accommodations, charities and local community and voluntary groups.
Physical Activity For Older Adults (PDF, 109 Kb)
Older adults (65+) should aim to be active for 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity per week. Moderate intensity means your heart rate increases, but you can still hold a conversation. Aim for strength and balance exercise on 2 days a week. Click here for guidelines and top tips.
A Golden Games bag includes:
▪ Your Guide to Golden Games *
▪ Golden Games Activity Pack **
▪ Home Exercise Booklet
▪ Active Monopoly
▪ Activity Bingo
▪ Dance for Days playlists
▪ Activity Tracker
▪ Versus Arthritis Let's Move with Leon DVD and Keep Moving booklet
▪ Falls Proof stickers
▪ Giant Tic Tac Toe
▪ Core Sliders
▪ Ring Toss set
▪ Inflatable ball & pump
▪ Resistance bands
▪ Stress balls
▪ Invitation cards
▪ Golden Games bookmarks
** The Golden Games Activity Pack provides information and instructions around how to play each game, what equipment to use, top tips and how to progress an activity.
Your Guide to Golden Games (PDF, 3.9 Mb)
* Your Guide to Golden Games includes more information about Golden Games and links for further support. It can be downloaded for free here.
Some free resources to get you started:
You can download our Activity Tracker here. Record your daily activity, how you felt and your goals / rewards for that week.
Each Activity Tracker allows you to record one month of activity. You can download and print off a new copy anytime.
Golden Carers have produced some free music playlists, including hits from the 40s, 50s and 60s.
Dance, move and shake in whatever way you enjoy to these favourite tunes.
Or, why not try and create an exercise routine to certain songs and remembering the routine for next time!
Golden Games Pledge
What is the pledge?
The Golden Games pledge is an opportunity to 'pledge' your commitment to the wellbeing of your residents and participants by:
- Regularly delivering Golden Games sessions
- Identifying a dedicated person to coordinate the delivery of Golden Games
- Updating us every couple of months on how you are getting on
By signing the pledge and completing the above, you will become an accredited Golden Games provider.
Accreditation can be achieved after 6 months of first receiving a Golden Games bag.
It is an opportunity for you to take ownership of delivering regular fun and inclusive physical activity to your participants and residents, and to share your activity journey with us.
Who is it for?
All organisations that sign up to Golden Games are strongly encouraged to commit to the Golden Games pledge.
What are the benefits?
Achieving Golden Games accreditation means your group / organisation will receive:
- Recognition on the Active Together website;
- Golden Games Let's Get Moving certificate;
- Golden Games pledge badge to display and include on your own website / literature
Golden Games accreditation is valid for 12 months, at which point it can be renewed if the 3 requirements are still being met.
Sign up to Golden Games
For any questions regarding Golden Games, please contact:
Assistant Sports Development Officer
I am working flexibly in the office or at home, therefore please contact me via email or phone number provided.
My areas of responsibility are:
- Golden Games
- This Girl Can
- Targeted Physical Activity Programme Support
- 01509 467486