Virtual School Games Summer Championships 2021
• This year saw our second ever Virtual School Games Summer Championships celebrating the build up to the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
• Launched with an opening ceremony on Monday 21st June (start of National School Sport Week) and continued throughout the week.
• Over 2,500 young people were able to participate both in school and at home via the Virtual Together app.
Outline of Event:
- Opening Ceremony featuring Paralympian, Sam Ruddock and warm ups delivered by Active Together Champion, Reema Bhakri.
- 10 Olympic sport related challenges
- 9 Paralympic sport related challenges
- All challenges were developed and submitted by SSPANs, schools and NGBs
- All SSPAN areas were allocated a country to represent during the week
- The event was promoted via BBC Radio Leicester, BBC East Midlands Today & various social media platforms
A HUGE THANK YOU goes to everyone who made the Virtual Championships happen!
A full Championships report is available below to download.
- Over 2,500 young person engagements over the course of the week.
- 245 total downloads from the event resource web page.
- 20+ schools involved in the challenges entering almost 500 teams in the team challenges
• Water Leys Primary got every child from Year 1 -6 involved in the Football Target and Basketball challenge. A total of 349 students got involved from the school.
• Pastures Primary School promoted the challenges across the whole school and got involved in the Speed Bounce, Hurdle Challenge, Football Target & Football Dribble Challenges.
• Reigning Champions Ab Kettleby Primary School retained their overall crown and once again threw themselves into the activities on offer, with blanket coverage via their own social media channels and also featuring on both BBC Radio Leicester and BBC East Midlands Today.
The kids have loved it - just a pity there isn't more time. Some classes have continued trying to beat their scores this week!
St Mary's Primary (Melton)
The pupils all had a great week taking part in the challenges.
Stathern Primary (Melton)
It's been fantastic seeing all the children taking part in the challenges.
Ab Kettleby Primary