Whether you're walking to work or to the shops, stepping out at lunchtime or taking the dog for a walk, walking can be simple to fit into your everyday life.
- See Also:
- Nordic Walking
An Overview of Walking
Walk Together this Autumn!
82% of Leicestershire is classed as rural! This means we are fortunate to have some beautiful countryside and parks right on our doorstep. From Bradgate Park to Bosworth Battlefield, Sence Valley to Welland Park, there are many places to explore on foot. Over time, even a 10 minute brisk walk can have huge health benefits.
Autumn can be a fantastic season to explore our Leicestershire countryside, parks and open spaces by foot. Why? See below!
5 benefits of walking in autumn:
- Boosts mental health - The 'winter blues' can be a worry for some, but the blue skies, green spaces and warming rays can help to boost mood and reduce anxiety.
- Beautiful scenery - For a lot of people, the unmistakable colours of autumn make it their favourite time of year. The browns, oranges, yellows and greens makes it the perfect time to go for a health-boosting walk.
- Weather – The weather in autumn is still warm, but not uncomfortable as it can get in the summer. There is the added advantage of stunning misty mornings and golden sunsets to take notice of.
- Sensory – When out for your autumn walk, notice the vast array of leaves, foliage and flowers, smell the cut grass, hear the chirping of the birds, feel the swirling of the leaves around your feet...
- Explore new areas - Footpaths are generally well kept and accessible during the autumn months. The vast majority of our Walk Together groups walk all year round and explore different trails. Whether you prefer to walk in a group or self-guided, there's plenty to visit and see in Leicestershire!
Why not give it a go and join one of our Walk Together groups?
Walk Together offers a regular programme of free, sociable, and accessible group walks within Leicestershire and Rutland led by trained volunteer walk leaders. Walk Together is coordinated, developed and delivered via a partnership of Leicestershire Local Authorities and Active Together.
Walk Together guided walks are ideal for people who have done little to no exercise in the past. They vary in length from short to long walks, typically between 45 - 60 minutes, on well maintained, flat surfaces. Every walk encourages individuals to go at their own pace, and there will always be a Walk Leader to ensure no one is left behind.
Find out more about Walk Together here.
- It can be done anywhere and anytime
- Regular walking can allow you to keep fit and meet new friends
- Gives you more energy
- Meet new people
- Reduce stress, helping you to sleep better
- Keeps your heart strong
- Helps to maintain your weight
- Helps to maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Reduces back pain
- Keeps you motivated
Walk Together is a free walking programme.
Active Together believe walking is for everyone and is most fun when shared with others. There are a number of beginners walking groups across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland offering beginner friendly walks, led by trained and insured Walk Leaders. To find a group near you, please click here
For more information about the benefits of walking and how to get started take a look at the helpful NHS walking guide.
Adaptations and Equipment
Walking is one of the most accessible physical activities out there - all you need to get started are a comfortable pair of shoes! There is no cost to exploring your local parks, areas and open spaces.
Find Walking Clubs/Groups Near You
Use the search below to find local organisations near you.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- General enquiries
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 020 7339 8500