Active Together (which is a part of a nationwide network of Active Partnerships has been awarded a portion of the national Opening School Facilities (OSF) fund to help schools in Leicester City, Leicestershire and Rutland (LLR) to open their facilities
The aim is to help schools to open their existing sport facilities, including school swimming pools, to a broader range of young people and to support the wider community by partnering with sporting organisations, who can help deliver activities in these settings.
The three-year investment will ensure that local solutions are sought collaboratively that identify long term changes in behaviour, leading to more people being active in areas that need it the most.
Active Together are able to support schools in maximising the use of their facilities - helping connect to local partners and explore opportunities to overcome barriers to increasing the use of school sports facilities.
Why explore developing community use of sports facilities?
Developing greater use of school sports facilities can provide a number of positive outcomes, such as:
- Providing a greater range of after-school activities for pupils, supporting their health and mental wellbeing.
- Provide a safe space to be physically active in.
- Develop greater connection and engagement with the local community.
- Provide a source of income to help schools continue to develop their offer.
- Help secure investment into developing future facilities and programmes.
How can Active Together support you?
As the Active Partnership, Active Together work with a range of local organisations and authorities to develop sport and physical activity provision. We're able to support schools in planning their community offer, such as:
- Exploring local needs and opportunities.
- Engagement with clubs and other partners.
- Considering a variety of operating models.
- Connection to case studies and examples of existing practice.
- Support in accessing policies and procedures.
• Swimming activities can be delivered both during the school day, before and after school, evenings, weekends and holidays
• Activities can be delivered in holidays, in conjunction with HAF and other programmes, but must target new participants
• Needs to be a new or additional activity to what is already taking place
• All eligible items for expenditure, must be paid for first and then claimed in arrears
• All schools must agree to take part in a national evaluation of the programme
Year 1 Jan 23 – Mar 23 (Year 1 is now closed)
Year 2 Apr 23 - Mar 24 (Year2 is now closed) *Deadline to amend plans is Friday 24th Nov 2023)
Year 3 Apr 24 - Mar 25 (please forward your expression of interest by Fri 1st March 2024)
School Action Plans
To apply for Opening School Facilities funding, please read the Guidance Notes provided and complete the online Action Plan template.
Action Plans for Year 2 will need to be submitted by Friday 30th June however there will be flexibility to adapt plans beyond this date.
All Year 1 and Year 2 Schools have been contacted directly. If you think your school may be eligible to apply for Year 3 funding - please contact email@example.com to discuss further.
Sign up for Year 2 deadline is Monday 1st July 2023 - Now Closed
Deadline for amending Year 2 delivery plans is Friday 24th November 2023
Please note - it is important that you use the Youth Voice Toolkit during consultation with your students. The link can be found within the Guidance Note document.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before applying to discuss eligibility and project suitability.
For more information please contact:
I am working flexibly in the office or at home, therefore please contact me via email or phone number provided.
My areas of responsibility are:
- Opening School Facilities Programme
- Active Environments, Design & Healthy Places
- Playing Pitch & Planning Policy, Guidance, Strategies
When I'm not working - I'm taking long walks with my friendly little dog, Mo. If I'm not walking, I love a CrossFit workout and cooking for family and friends.
Favourite Quote/Motto – Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day – Dalai Lama
- 01509 467485