Exercise Referral is traditionally a 12 week programme of personalised physical activity support for people with specific health conditions.
An Overview of Exercise Referral
Exercise (Health) Referral is one of several programmes part of the Active Referral Scheme.
Qualified exercise professionals create a safe and effective physical activity programme tailored to a participants needs and goals.
Exercise Referral is available to people aged 16 years and over with an existing health condition that could be improved by physical activity.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions you could be eligible for the Exercise Referral Scheme:
- back pain
- coronary heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
You'll need to ask your GP to be referred.
**Please note there is typically a cost to access these services in Leicestershire. Please contact local co-ordinator for full details**
Full eligibility details can be found by clicking here
Physical Activity can play an important role in preventing and managing health conditions such as coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, mental health problems, musculoskeletal conditions and some cancers.
Exercise can have a positive effect on well-being and mood, providing a sense of achievement or relaxation and release from daily stress.
- Greater social cohesion by helping people to socialise, providing a means of getting involved with the community
- Increasing how much physical activity someone does can significantly improve both their physical and mental well-being and reduce illnesses and disease throughout life
- It can also improve life expectancy
- Being active improves sleep, enhances quality of life and well-being
- Reduces stress
- Increases concentration levels
- Improves balance, co-ordination and cardiovascular fitness
- Increases self-confidence
**Please note, there is typically a cost to access these services in Leicestershire. Please contact local co-ordinator for full details**
For more information and local contacts/welcome packs, visit https://www.active-together.org/activereferral
Find Exercise Referral Clubs/Groups Near You
Use the search below to find local organisations near you.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- NHS England
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 0300 311 22 33